Friday, January 16, 2009

Grandpa in my eyes. A man of few words, but the words he expressed were soft and kind. He was a son, brother, husband, father, grandfather, great grandfather, veteran, farmer, golfer, taco bell advocate, bronco’s fan, classic gentleman, sweet loving man and who could resist those big strong hands. When we were younger me and my sister would always ask him to tickle our backs…those were good tickles.

I never knew anyone that could eat their entire meal all mixed together. There is no other way of eating ice cream and cake unless it’s drowned in milk. He always taught me to finish everything on my plate, but then cleaned it for me when I couldn’t.

Grandpa was just grandpa, always there when you needed him. Never complained although he wasn’t afraid to be blunt about things. In fact the last words I heard him say, in the hospital the male nurse came in and ask “how are you doing?’ Grandpa looked at him moving the oxygen mask away from his mouth and said, “how do you think I’m doing?” We all chuckled knowing that’s grandpa.

In his later years I really saw the joy he had in being around his family. I regret not going to visit him more. I should feel blessed that I have always lived so close to him and grandma my whole life. In Missouri and now here in St.George, but also feel guilt at the same time for being so close and not spending more time. It’s just one of those things that happened so quickly and unexpectedly. Especially in grandpa’s case.

I feel most for dear grandma, but if anyone can make it’s her. I have never known a stronger woman then grandma. Last year when grandma was diagnosed with cancer and we thought it was her last day’s grandpa was there to take care of her. I have a friend who said “it’s the job of the men to take care of their woman.” Grandpa took care of grandma, got her healthy and now his job was done. We knew his day would come and it’s sad it had to come so soon and unexpected.

Grandpa was a loyal great man and his presence will be missed so dearly! I think for me I am comforted that he never had to suffer and knowing we’ll all get to be with him again and getting to see him in his better years will truly be an amazing time! “Boy you said it”-Jim Elwood Kelly, We love you!-Staci









1 comment:

Aymee said...

This is wonderful! It's so hard for me to put into words stuff like this and what an amazing man Grandpa was. It's fun to celebrate his wonderful life and all the joy and happiness that filled it. Thanks so much!